Thursday, January 27, 2011

Some days just getting out of bed is the goal.

I absolutely hit snooze on the alarm this morning.  5:50AM was not happening for me today.  And honestly when it resang Adele's Chasing Pavement at 6AM, I wholeheartedly considered hitting "dismiss," and calling it a morning.  As I laid there in the dark, stretching my sore legs, I didn't think I had it in me to jump and squat and push myself to "Dig Deeper" yet again.


But then I realized: I'm awake.  I can do this... even if I don't want to do it.  So I puttered over to the workout clothes I had set out the night before and crawled into the bathroom to change.  As I looked into the mirror, I knew it wasn't going to be a pretty workout.  And some days are like that - just showing up and moving gives you enough bragging rights.

Shaun T must have known that after a Fit Test and 2 workouts, your body needs recovery.  I had no idea that today's workout was Cardio Recovery (maybe I should have looked at the schedule before starting... details, details), but I almost shed a tear of joy when I put it into the DVD player. 

No 3-times-can't-breathe-at-the-end warm up. 
No crazy suicide jumps, push ups, or sprinting in place.
No sweat creating rivers in places I don't want rivers.

Just recovery.  A 30-minute stretching workout.  Don't get me wrong - it's still a workout, but it's giving yourself time to pamper the muscles you've worked so hard.  And it's a great reminder, as you're doing your workouts.  Some days suck, but you owe it to yourself and your body to move it.  Stretch it, and push it a little.  Don't just sit on the couch and watch TV.  Get on the floor, spread your legs and stretch.  Hold each one for 15-30 and give your muscles the pleasure of feeling each stretch 2-3 times. (This is also the best non-medicated way I've helped myself get to sleep at night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment